Since I embarked on this journey to lose weight and get healthy, I have had to tweak my Paleo diet along the way. I plateaued for a long time, which was in part to working out so much and gaining muscle but also because I just didn’t get the food thing right for a long time. Here are the top ten tips that helped me finally break through and start getting smaller!
- No Nut Butter! Ok, well I do have it once a week as a special treat.
- No Cheese! Same thing, once a week for a date night or a dinner party, I’ll allow a little bit.
- No smoothies! I read that this can be a sneaky way of getting too many calories and not feeling full and I have to say that has been true for me so I really don’t drink smoothies anymore.
- Less salads! I think salads are great for lunch, especially a nice tuna or salmon salad but I found that when I ditched my salads and started eating leftovers for dinner which are almost always made up of meat and veggies, I had more energy throughout the day and started to see movement on the scale!
- Move more! Sure crossfit is hard but if you’re only going 3-4 days a week and weight loss is a high priority, try running or doing core work on your off days. After crossfitting, those exercises will seem easy and it will help burn calories all week!
- Drink More Water! I know this is obvious but for the first four weeks, I definitely wasn’t drinking enough. Get a water bottle and push yourself to drink lots of water all day long!
- No cheating, No Excuses! I admit it, I was still getting lattes with my friends and telling myself that a little milk wasn’t the end of the world. But then every week I’d feel pouty-pants that I wasn’t losing more weight. Get real! No cheating, ever. Then you won’t be wondering what’s holding you back.
- Weigh yourself once a week! I know, a lot of people say toss the scale and I’m emotionally working up to that but for now, I only weigh myself once a week. That helps me to be a lot less crazy about that stupid number and focus all week on how I feel.
- Treat yourself with something! If you’re working hard and you really want to reward yourself with food, try getting workout clothes instead or take yourself on a movie date. I don’t have a lot of money but I picked up some new yoga pants at Goodwill the other day for 4.99 and they make me feel fantastic!
- Journal! Okay, I’m adding this to my list but I’ll be totally honest, I definitely don’t journal every day. I’m working on it. I know it’s important. I know that food logging and mood logging is so helpful and right now I probably hit 3/7 days. I know, pathetic. Why can’t I do something that takes literally 5 minutes? I’m hoping that by adding this to the list, I’ll be more motivated to do it!